HistoryCadiz Animal Clinic is directly descended from Dr. Albert Dunlap (Western Veterinary College, 1905). Like most veterinarians of his era, he was primarily a large animal veterinarian. His original modes of transportations were a horse named Gyp and trains. Dr. Pendelton has a postcard from Bloomingdale in 1910, “Doc, cow down, come by train as soon as possible.” What little small animal he did was done in the family farm’s spring house, which still stands on Grant Street.

He owned a Model T that required regular additions of oil to keep it running. His future colleague, Dr. Festus Rogers, told the story about a milk fever cow. Early on the treatment for milk fever was to inflate the udder and tie off the teat. When IV calcium became available, it was caramel colored. Dr. Dunlap and the future Dr. Rogers treated a cow with this new treatment. On the way home, they realized the treatment was still sitting on the seat and the motor oil was not! We do not know the outcome of this experimental treatment, only that who was at fault was never settled. Dr. Dunlap retired in 1942 at the age of 70 when Dr. Rogers returned to the area. He passed away in 1967 at the age of 95.

Dr. Festus Rogers (OSU, 1926) began riding with Dr. Dunlap when he was eight years old. He lettered in track as an undergraduate at Ohio State University and ran life as a competition thereafter, racing his protégé, Dr. John Mitchell (future president of the American Equine Practitioners) from the barn to the truck. He was a noted breeder and judge of Tennessee Walkers.
He is still remembered by older farmers as the man who drove a Buick Roadmaster as fast as it could go from farm to farm and had the habit of leaning on the horn from the time he was in hearing distance until he stopped at the barn. When he arrived at the farm he expected a warm basin of water and towel to be ready for before and after hand washings. He was a general practitioner with a small animal clinic in a building next to his house on Jamison Avenue.

He started his career as a state veterinarian and came home to Cadiz when Dr. Dunlap was ready to retire in 1942. He practiced until 1960 when he was severely injured in a car accident on SR646. A milk hauler ran a stop sign and Dr. Rogers went under the rear of the truck, shearing off his roof. Although he recovered, he never practiced veterinary medicine again. Dr. Mitchell believes it is because he knew he was never going to be the horse at the top of his form. OK wasn’t good enough for him. He died in 1990 at the age of 88.

Dr. Carl “Skip” Sparling (OSU, 1962) purchased the clinic, house and practice of Dr. Rogers in 1962. He was also a general practitioner but preferred farm animal medicine. He built the current hospital in 1976 to accommodate both small and large animals. It was at this time that the clinic officially became Cadiz Animal Clinic. He was a well-known amateur thespian and acted in many plays with the Deersville Players. He sold his practice to Dr. Pendleton in 1993 after getting elected county commissioner. After selling the practice he continued large animal medicine in the area and opened a small animal clinic in his home town of Bellaire. He died in 2015 at the age of 83.

Dr. Pendleton (OSU, 1989) came to Cadiz in May of 1992. Originally from nearby Bloomingdale, he moved back to be closer to his family. At the time, the clinic was 80% large animal. As the times have changed, so has the clinic. The county is down to two or three milking operations and two larger beef herds. The drop in large animal medicine means the clinic is now well over 90% small animal. The clinic was remodeled in 1999 to accommodate the increase in pet animal medicine.

We are proud to have served the community for over 110 years and look forward to another 110!