Archive for the ‘Our History’ Category
Cadiz Animal Clinic is directly descended from Dr. Albert Dunlap (Western Veterinary College, 1905). He worked on large animals for many years. His original mode of transportation was horse and train. Dr. Pendleton has a post card from Bloomingdale in 1910 that says, “Doc, cow down, come by train as soon as possible.”
He was an early owner of a Ford Model T that required oil daily to keep it running. We know this because his partner, Dr. Festus Rogers (OSU, 1926), used to tell the story of the milk fever cow they treated with motor oil. Apparently, early milk fever treatments looked like oil. When at a farm together early in Dr. Rogers career, Dr. Dunlap treated a milk fever cow with a new IV calcium treatment for the affliction. On the way home, Dr. Rogers realized they had actually given motor oil IV since the milk fever treatment was still on the seat! We do not know the outcome of this experimental treatment but do know they blamed each other for the mistake. Dr. Dunlap retired in the early 40’s and his office still stands in Cadiz.
Dr. Rogers is still remembered as the man who drove the big Buick Road Master as fast as it could go from farm to farm. When he arrived at the farm he expected a clean towel and basin of warm water to be ready for before and after hand washings. In the early 50’s, he ran a stop sign and went under the trailer of a large truck near New Rumley. The roof was sheared off and he was badly injured. He is said to have been quite a character and is still remembered fondly by our older farmers. In 1962 he sold his practice to Dr. Carl Sparling.
Dr. Sparling (OSU, 1962) practiced out of his house for small animals and he modified a local barn for large animal surgeries, as well as making farm visits. In 1976 he built our current building. He was primarily a farm veterinarian but his small animal slowly expanded. After Dr. Pendleton purchased the clinic in February of 1992, Dr. Sparling opened up a small animal practice in his hometown of Bellaire and continued to do farm work.
Dr. Pendleton (OSU, 1989) came to Harrison County in May of 1992. Originally from nearby Bloomingdale, he chose this area to be closer to his family. At that time, the clinic was 80% large animal, with much of that being dairy and large beef herds. As the area has changed, so has the clinic. Most of the dairies are now gone and the large beef herds as well. As the pet animal side began to grow, the clinic was remodeled in 1999 to accommodate the expansion. We are now 92% companion animal. Dr. Pendleton still works with several larger beef herds and some of the few remaining dairies.
An addition is being planned for 2013 in anticipation of Dr. Aimee Clay’s arrival as an associate.